Moving from Prudential Insurance in 1995, Ken opened Thom & Associates Financial Planners Inc. as an independent brokerage. Since becoming a Financial Advisor in 1993, Ken has been a Member of the prestigious Million Dollar Round Table and is now considered a Life and Qualifying Member for his continued achievements.
In 1999, Ken accepted a Ministerial Appointment through Orders in Council as a Member of the Insurance Council of British Columbia, the provincial regulator for all of British Columbia’s insurance licensees and remained on the disciplinary committee for 12 years. In 2010, Ken Thom was also appointed as a voting member of the Insurance Council of British Columbia for a two year term.
Over the years there have been many community projects that Ken has participated in, and some he spearheaded. The following are just a few…
Current Involvement in the Community:
- Making Memories (Ken Thom & Staff: Volunteer and Sponsor, 2009 to present)
- BC Cancer Foundation Regional Development Council in the Southern Interior (Ken Thom: Chair Major Gifts Committee, 2012 to present)
- Maxine Dehart’s Drive Thru Breakfast (Ken and Staff Volunteer and Sponsor 2009 to present)
Commitments and Achievements in chronological order
- Million Dollar Round Table (Ken Thom: Life Qualifier 1993 – 2012)
- Advocis (Financial Advisors Assn of Canada) (Ken Thom: Member 1993 – present)
- Insurance Council of B.C. – Appointed by B.C. Minister through Orders in Council in 2011 (Ken Thom: Cabinet Appointed Voting Member in 2011 and member from 1999 to 2012)
- Civic Awards Man of the Year – City of Kelowna (Ken Thom: Nominee 2010)
- United Way (Ken Thom: Central OK Leadership Chair 2007 to 2009)
- “Jeffrey’s Place” in KGH (Ken Thom: Chair 2006 – 2008)
- Cops for Kids – Regimental Ball (Ken Thom Chairperson & Pauline Murray: 2003 to 2005)
- Lady of the Lake – Kelowna (Ken Thom: Judge 2003)
- The Rotary Centre for The Arts (Ken Thom: Chairman in 1998 – 2001, (not chairman) 2002 to 2003)
- Canadian Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors (Ken Thom: President 2000 – 2001, Executive Vice President 1999 – 2000, Member of the Executive 1996 – 2001)
- Business Excellence Awards – City of Kelowna (Ken Thom: Double Nominee – 2000)
- Okanangan Jewish Community Golf Tournament (Ken Thom: 1998)
- Campaign for Cancer Care – Kelowna Cancer Clinic (Ken Thom: Attendance Director 1997)
- Kelowna Chamber of Commerce (Ken Thom: Director 1994 – 1998, Member from 1983 – 2006)
The Thom and Associates team, specifically Ken, collaborates with Ballet Kelowna and an exceptional team of non-profit organizations (for children and families) throughout the Okanagan for this special event. The group’s initiative and hard work provides a free ticket to a the custom performance of the Nutcracker Ballet and a Santa stocking is stuffed with donated goodies from many great local sponsors for every child. The December 2011 performance, with over 850 tickets distributed, filled the Kelowna Community Theatre.
Since the first performance in 2009, the organizing team has received many letters of thanks from grateful families and children who were positively impacted by this experience. Many recipients from these non-profit organizations would not likely attend a professional performance like this, and as the initiating sponsor of this annual event, Ken and Thom & Associates are thrilled to see these families have the opportunity to experience such a beautiful expression of the arts. What better time to do that for them than at Christmas!
250-861-RRSP (861-7777) Ext. 104